9 Reasons to Call for Electrical Wiring Repair Near You

Reasons to Call for Electrical Wiring Repair Near You

Wiring and other electrical issues are the most common causes of home fires. Therefore, it’s essential to know when to call for electrical wiring repair near you. Once a wire overheats or becomes exposed, a severe shock or fast-spreading fire can result. 

Your best defense is to know the reasons to call for help, so the problem is fixed before it’s too late. These are the top reasons to call a wiring repair professional:

1. You’re Using Too Many Extension Cords

Many people see extension cords as a convenience rather than a problem. But if you’re using a lot of them and relying on extension cords as a permanent solution, think again. They can be a safety hazard if the capacity doesn’t match the appliance or device. If the cord can’t handle the load flowing through it, it can overheat and cause a fire.

Extension cords create many points of potential failure. They can easily become kinked or pinched by windows or doors. Another danger is running them under rugs and furniture; this traps heat and increases the fire risk. Plugging one cord into another is also dangerous as it can potentially overload the extension cord and circuit.

2. Lights Keep Dimming or Flickering

Lights usually dim or flicker due to problems unrelated to the fixture. The issue often occurs because a major appliance is wired to the same circuit. Plugging in a space heater or other heating or cooling device can affect lights because it draws a lot of power. The circuit or the wiring itself may be unable to handle the load. Call an electrician to determine whether you need electrical wiring repair.

3. Circuit Breakers Trip Frequently

A tripped breaker may not trigger the thought of faulty wiring. This often happens because you plugged one too many appliances in. However, if the same breaker trips repeatedly, the circuit is overloaded, or a wiring problem is causing the breaker to shut things down. Suspect a wiring issue if the breaker trips no matter what you plug into the same outlet. The circuit may need an upgrade; a professional may also recommend adding a new one.

4. An Outlet or Electrical Panel Sparks

If a breaker panel or outlet sparks, call an electrician right away. Sparking appliances often require an appliance repair technician; they can test the appliance and the outlet it’s plugged into. In any case, never ignore sparks, no matter where they come from. They can indicate a wiring problem and precede a fire or powerful shock.

5. Outlets and Switch Plates Are Hot

An outlet should never be hot, even if a heat-producing appliance is plugged in. While switch plates can become slightly warm due to electrical current, a hot surface means something is wrong. Turn off anything that’s plugged in and use another outlet. An outlet that gets hot without anything plugged in may be wired incorrectly. Call for help so a professional who provides electrical repair near you can address the problem.

6. Something Doesn’t Smell or Sound Right

Electricity doesn’t normally produce any odors or sounds. If there’s a burning or other strange odor from an outlet, unplug anything connected to it and call an electrician. A buzzing sound is also a concern. It can be caused by a loose connection or frayed wire. Buzzing occurs when current jumps from one source to another.

7. You Have Old Aluminum Wiring

If your home was built before 1980, check for aluminum wiring. Copper wiring is now the standard. Aluminum is less heat resistant and more prone to damage and deterioration. If you have wires made of aluminum, chances are they’re in poor condition. They should be replaced by a professional to improve safety and capacity.

8. You Have the Wrong Outlets in Your Kitchen or Bathroom

If you don’t have them, ask an electrician to install ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) in your kitchen or bathroom. Water conducts electricity very efficiently. If an appliance gets wet, you can be severely injured or fatally shocked. A GFCI outlet turns off the power if there’s a current imbalance due to water or moisture. Arc faults are also a serious fire hazard. An arc fault circuit interrupter (AFCI) can be installed to protect your home.

9. Wiring Has Been Damaged by Pests

Mice, rats, and other pests often chew on electrical wiring. They can break through the insulation and expose the conductor, which creates a fire hazard. Call for help if you see such damage, and check for it if you notice signs of pests such as rodent droppings. The most vulnerable spots include the attic and basement, so check there first.

Call Kliemann Brothers for Electrical Wiring Repair Near Tacoma, WA

Electrical wiring carries a lot of current. If it’s damaged or unsuited for your home, it can be a shock and fire hazard. We can help if you have any reasons for concern. Our residential electricians are trained to spot any issues and correct them and have been providing high-quality services since 1998. They can handle repairs of any size. To request electrical repair near you in Tacoma, call (253) 352-3806 today.

Need HVAC Service?

Contact the experts at Kliemann Brothers.

Call us at (253) 537-0655!

Read More of Our Articles

View other articles.